For the final installment of my series on the Montreal-based label Mulcair, I sat down and chatted with the designer (and former Westmount girl!) Juliana Bennett about all things fashionable and Mulcair. Only a few years old, Mulcair is a line that shows an incredible level of sophistication and elegance. As one of Montreal’s premier designers, I can’t wait to see Juliana and Mulcair continue to take the fashion world by storm. You can follow along with her on Twitter, Facebook, and on the Mulcair blog.
1. What’s your design background (education, internships, etc)? Studied at Parsons School of Design under Tim Gunn and was classmates with Alexander Wang. Was also Vena Cava’s first intern.
2. When did you start designing, what inspired you to start? Was sketching dresses ever since I was a little girl.
3. Can you give a little background on Mulcair? The Label is named after my Grandmother’s maiden name and is also my middle name. Basically, her father and uncle ran a tailoring business outside of Montreal in in the early 1900’s and were known as the Mulcair brothers.
4. Where/what do you find inspiring when creating a new collection? I’m inspired by all sorts of things… films, art, street style, fashion bloggers, magazines and sometimes just the feel of a fabric or a sketch I like.
5. You’ll be missed at this Montreal Fashion Week! What can we expect next from Mulcair? I’m taking the season off to re-explore and refine the label with new sourcing and some delicious traveling. I also have some fun side projects in the works but you’ll have to read my blog to follow those as they are secretive for now 🙂
6. If you could dress any three women, who would they be? Kate Bosworth, Rachel McAdams, Vanessa Traina or any of the Olsen’s.
7. What are your thoughts on the Montreal fashion scene? It’s very eclectic and fun… anything goes.
8. What trends, colors, styles are you loving right now? For Spring I’m loving Givenchy Cat eye-frames, vibrant digital prints, body conscious colour blocking, sheer shell dresses with a strong silhouette.
9. Where can you purchase Mulcair? Contact the studio firstname.lastname@example.org for any sales inquiries or custom orders.